We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Our 5 Slow Cooker Tips and Tricks ensure that you'll learn how to use your slow cooker in the best way possible! These helpful slow cooker tips are invaluable! Learn what types of meats to use, how to prep meat for slow cooking, slow cooker basics and more.
While operating a slow cooker might seem like a simple task, there are some tips for slow cooker meals that will make your slow cooking process run more smoothly. Slow cooking properly does not simply entail plugging in your slow cooker, selecting HIGH or LOW and hitting the "Start" button. We have some helpful slow cooker tips to properly cook and operate the slow cooker.
5 Slow Cooker Tips and Tricks
Browning meats and veggies--a must? It's not necessary to brown meats, poultry and veggies ahead of time. However, browning these items before cooking them in your slow cooker will lend more flavor.
Selecting Cuts of Meat: Because dishes cooked in the slow cooker often cook for a long period of time, one can make slow cooker beef recipes with tougher cuts of meat. Slow cookers trap moisture and break down tough meat until it's melt-in-your-mouth tender. If you're planning to cook a slow cooker beef recipe, save money by buying "less desirable" tough cuts of meat. We reccommend cuts such as chuck steak.
How full is too full? If you fill your slow cooker to the top, it might overflow. If you don't fill the slow cooker enough, your ingredients might cook too quickly, which can lead to food drying out, or even burning. As a rule of thumb, fill your slow cooker halfway or two-thirds full when the cooking process begins.
Chill out and relax: You can lengthen the cooking time for a desired recipe by placing your ingredients in the slow cooker overnight covered and refrigerating them. A chilled slow cooker needs to be cooked 1 1/2 more hours.
- Trap the heat: Try not to lift the lid on your slow cooker while it's cooking (It's hard, we know!). Releasing heat during the cooking process can lengthen your cooking time by as much as 15 minutes. Sit tight!
If you like our slow cooker tips and tricks, put them to good use and check out our Slow Cooker Main Dishes for slow cooker beef recipes, slow cooker chicken recipes, and more.
Read NextHow to Use Slow Cooker Liners
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
- How to Use Slow Cooker Liners
- How to Test the Freshness of an Egg
- The Best Steak Marinade for Your Slow Cooker
- How to Bake in a Slow Cooker
- Camping with your Slow Cooker
- How to Make Your Own Caramel Apple Bar
- Slow Cooker Sizes Guide
- Slow Cooker Soups are the Winners: Top Six Seasonings
- How to Cook a Turkey in Your Slow Cooker
- How To Rate and Comment On Recipes on Our Site
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook