Slow Cooker Blueberry Overnight French Toast
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
If you're in search of a decadent slow cooker breakfast casserole, you'll love this recipe for Slow Cooker Blueberry Overnight French Toast. It's made with blueberries, brown sugar, and cinnamon and topped with warm, golden syrup -- what more can you ask for in sweet breakfast? This moist and fluffy French toast casserole is made all the more sweeter and scrumptious with the addition of vanilla. Refrigerate the batter overnight, pour it in your slow cooker when you wake up, and cook it in the morning. You can even substitute another fruit for blueberries if you prefer another flavor. This is a yummy slow cooker breakfast treat that everyone will devour in minutes!
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 slices bread (see note)
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries, either fresh or frozen
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Maple syrup and fresh blueberries for garnish
For a festive spin on slow cooker french toast, try this Overnight Pumpkin French Toast Casserole, and embrace those delicious fall flavors.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon to a paste.
- Spray the slow cooker insert with cooking spray and sprinkle about 1/3 of the brown sugar mixture into the bottom of it. Use the rest to spread evenly on all of the bread slices.
- Layer half the bread into the slow cooker, cutting or tearing it to fit, and sprinkle all of the blueberries on top. Layer the remaining bread on top in a slightly overlapping pattern.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla and salt and whisk to completely mix. Gently pour over the bread layers and press the bread down to submerge it in the milk and egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to cook, place the insert into the slow cooker and set it to LOW heat for 4 hours.
- Serve with warm maple syrup and a garnish of fresh blueberries.
- Make this recipe in a slow cooker with a removable insert.
- A firm sandwich bread works best, but you may substitute whatever bread you have available. This is a good place to use up bread which is no longer fresh as that will hold together best in this dish. If you use a baguette, cut it into ½ inch slices and use about 20 slices.
How Did French Toast Get Its Name?
You might think that the origins of French toast are as simple as making a connection between its name and the country of France. It turns out that French toast has an even longer history than the Western European country.
A recipe for bread soaked in milk and then fried in oil appears in an ancient Roman cookbook dating from the 4th or 5th century. At the time, wasting food was an unheard of luxury, so people used their culinary ingenuity to make less palatable foods (like stale bread) more edible. Pan dulcis, as the Romans called it, became increasingly popular throughout Europe during the Middle Ages. It became a sensation in France's royal court where the dish was called pain perdu ("lost bread" in reference to its staleness).
There is also a myth that states that French toast got its name from Joseph French, an American innkeeper. However, this seems to be only a myth, since the name "French toast" was used to describe the dish in Europe long before the innkeeper sold it to guests in 1724.
For more easy slow cooker breakfast recipes, try our collection, 28 Slow Cooker Breakfast Recipes To Start Your Day.
Images from other cooks
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Overnight Egg Brunch Casserole
After Church Brunch Casserole
Low-Carb Sausage and Egg Breakfast Bake
Semi-Homemade Slow Cooker Caramel Rolls
Slow Cooker Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole
Egg, Ham, and Spinach Breakfast Casserole Recipe
7-Ingredient Breakfast Casserole
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal
Slow Cooker Baked Peanut Butter Oatmeal
Slow Cooked Porridge
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- 10 Ultimate Video Game Snacks
- Dexas 4-Piece Grippmat Cutting Mat Set
- Slow Cooker Beer Braised Beef Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
- Reuben Dip
- Taylor Pro Ultra-Thin Digital Thermometer
- 22 Easy Sunday Chicken Dinners
- Southern Style Instant Pot Pork Chops
- Silchef 3-Piece Tong Set
- 12 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Recipes
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook