The Low-GI Slow Cooker Cookbook Review
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
The Low-GI Slow Cooker Cookbook
Provided by Ulysses Press
Reviewed by Blair Chavis
The Low-GI Slow Cooker cookbook is great for those looking for low glycemic index (GI) foods. With the help of low-GI recipes, you can make foods that won't raise your blood sugar levels and will help you to stay healthy. The glycemic index (GI) offers a measure of how quickly one's blood sugar levels rise after consuming a particular type of food. Recent healthy studies have reported that a diet based on low-GI foods can offer weight-loss benefits, as well as help to prevent diabetes and coronary heart disease.
Co-authors Dr. Mariza Snyder and Dr. Lauren Clum run The Specific Chiropractic Center n Oakland, Calif., and co-author Anna V. Zulaica is the founder and owner of Presto! Catering in Berkely, Calif.
"Utilizing the glycemic index as a tool to understand how the human body processes carbohydrates can help you to make decisions to help you achieve your health and weight-loss goals," said cookbook author Mariza Syder.
In their book, The Low-GI Slow Cooker cookbook, the three authors offer up a guide for understanding the glycemic index and then offer ways in which readers can put that knowledge into action with easy-to-follow slow cooker recipes. In the beginning of their cookbook, they offer an explanation of the glycemic index, and also provide examples of foods which fall on different ends of the glycemic index scale. For instance, foods such as bread, rice, and potatoes have a high glycemic index, whereas foods such as nuts, apples, and beans have a low glycemic index. The authors take their explanation a step further by helping readers to understand how a food's glycemic index is calculated and they familarize their readers with measurement terminology. The authors additionally break down some health myths to help readers better understand how to approach their diets.
Finally, the cookbook's authors explain the benefits of using a slow cooker to prepare low-GI foods. Not only are slow cookers easy to use, but they explain that slow cookers also help to preserve foods' original nutrients, as recipes often cook at a low temperature.
Each recipe in the book is laid out simply, and each recipe includes a chart, outlining the dish's glycemic index, as well as other attributes, such as the number of grams of fat, protein, carbohydrates, etc. In this cookbook, one can expect to find recipes spanning breakfast dishes, soups, fish and poultry, red meat and pork, vegetarian options, and even desserts. The cookbook includes slow cooker recipes for classics, such as French Toast Casserole, Mushroom Barley Soup, Herbed Pork Chops, Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars, and more.
If you want an easy guide to follow a low-GI lifestyle, this cookbook truly makes the process a simple one. Not only does it provide instructions and easy explanations of how foods break down in our bodies, but it also offers practical solutions in the form of recipes to improve one's healthy eating habits at home. If you're a die-hard slow cooker fan, and need a cookbook that will help you improve your eating habits, The Low-GI Slow Cooker cookbook offers an invaluable roadmap for healthy eating.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
- 365 Days of Slow Cooking Cookbook Review
- The Crockin' Girls Slow Cookin' Companion Cookbook Review
- Slow Cooker Recipes 10 Ingredients or Less and Gluten-Free Cookbook Review
- The Professional Chef, Ninth Edition Review
- Betty Crocker Halloween Cookbook Review
- Betty Crocker The Big Book of Cookies Review
- One-Pot Wonders Cookbook Review
- Waffles Cookbook Review
- Put' em Up! Cookbook Review
- Win a copy of 175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics and a Gourmac Tool Set!
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook