Chicken & Herb Dumplings
Make Chicken & Herb Dumplings as a springy spin on an old comfort food favorite. This recipe for slow cooker chicken and dumplings is a classic, but the addition of garden herbs and vegetables to your favorite slow cooker recipes for chicken add a splash of color and style.
Time-Saving Tip: The chicken mixture may also be cooked on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Recipe Note: Leaving the lid slightly ajar while the dumplings are cooking prevents condensation from dripping onto the dumplings.
Ingredient Note: This recipe was created with 4-to 5-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast half per serving. However, there are a range of sizes available in-store, from the butcher counter to the meat case and the freezer section. Use whichever you prefer; just follow the recipe as written above for the best result. If you're using larger chicken breasts they may require a little longer cooking time.
Preparation Time20 min
Cooking Time8 hr
- 2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts and/or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 3 1/2 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth or Swanson® Chicken Stock
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups Bisquick or other all-purpose baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- Stir the chicken, carrots, celery, corn, broth and black pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir the flour and water in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth. Stir the flour mixture in the cooker. Increase the heat to HIGH. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir the baking mix, milk and rosemary in a medium bowl. Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls over the chicken mixture. Tilt the lid to vent and cook on HIGH for 40 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked in the center.