Slow Cooker Cowboy Casserole
This slow cooker cowboy casserole is hearty and completely delicious.
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
This recipe for Slow Cooker Cowboy Casserole is a cowboy casserole recipe that can't be missed! This delicious and easy slow cooker ground beef recipe is meaty, cheesy, and packed with flavor.
Sour cream and mayo make this casserole creamy, while ground beef, taco seasoning, and Cheddar cheese give this dish its savory flavor. Refrigerator biscuits hold the whole casserole together, and make it super satisfying! This is a terrific recipe to serve for a weeknight meal.
The wonderful thing about cooking a dish in your slow cooker is you can prepare the night before and turn on your slow cooker before you leave in the morning. When you return home a fabulous, hot dish is waiting to be served from your slow cooker. Your cowboys' tummies will be happy once they bite into this unforgettable Cowboy Casserole.
Preparation Time30 min
Slow Cooker Time HIGH3 hr
Slow Cooker Time LOW6 hr
Cooking Vessel Size6-quart slow cooker
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (1.25-ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (1-pound) package refrigerated biscuits
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained of excess liquid
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Preparing the Ingredients
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
While oven is preheating, Turn on stove to high and start heating a large frying pan. Crumble the ground beef into the heated pan. Use a wooden spoon to break up the ground beef. Let the beef cook for 2 minutes.
While beef is cooking, prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper on it. Place biscuits on top of the parchment paper. Bake the biscuits for about 16 minutes in the preheated oven, or until nice and brown.
Add the taco seasoning into the ground beef. Stir and continue using the wooden spoon to break up the beef chunks.
While beef continues cooking, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, and flour in a medium bowl and whisk together until it's creamy and smooth.
When beef is totally cooked through and nice and brown, drain off any excess grease.
Assembling the Casserole
In a large 6-quart greased slow cooker place as many biscuits on the bottom of the crock that will fit in one layer. Cut any extra biscuits into quarters and fit them carefully into any gaps in the biscuit layer on the bottom of the slow cooker.
Place ground beef evenly over the top of the biscuit layer.
Then spoon diced tomatoes over the top of the ground beef evenly.
Next, add the 2 cans of green chiles and spread over the tomatoes evenly.
Next scrape the sour cream/mayo mixture out of the bowl and spread evenly over the top of the green chiles.
Finally, sprinkle the cheese over the top.
Cooking and Serving
Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or on LOW for 4 to 6 hours.
Using a serving spoon scoop down deep to get all the layers and serve and enjoy!
Want to Make This in the Oven Instead?
If you're looking to adapt this slow cooker recipe into one that you can just pop into the oven, we took the time to convert the recipe for you (with a little help from our friends at RecipeLion).
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning and water, according to packet instructions; set aside.
Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, and flour in a medium bowl and whisk together until it's creamy and smooth.
Grease a 9x13 casserole dish. Then layer as many biscuits that will fit onto the bottom of the dish. Place ground beef evenly over the top of the biscuit layer. Then spoon diced tomatoes and 2 cans of green chiles over the top of the ground beef evenly. Next scrape the sour cream/mayo mixture out of the bowl and spread evenly over the top of the green chiles. Sprinkle cheese on top.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned.
If you loved hearty, cowboy-style recipes, that will fill you up and give you energy to get back on the trail, try our collection: Cowboy and Tex-Mex Meals: 19 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
If you're looking for delicious, fall treats, this Pumpkin Slow Cooker Chex Party Mix Recipe is the perfect choice! Packed with fall… Continue reading: "Pumpkin Slow Cooker Chex Party Mix Recipe"
- Slow Cooker Beef and Tater Tot Casserole
- Trisha Yearwood's Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- All-Day Shepherd's Pie
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Casserole
- Butternut Squash and Gnocchi Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- 5 Ingredient Chicken and Noodles
- Crunchy Chicken Noodle Comfort Casserole
- Slow Cooker Hamburger and Potato Bake
- Retro Tuna and Noodle Casserole in the Slow Cooker
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook