- see all comments
"I can not make this because the ingredient list on "All day slow cooker swiss steak is different then the ingredient list that printed. Very disappointed! I even have an account and could not find the directions .I do not want the the recipe with onion."
"My husband loved it and said make it again. I didn't really like it because it was too sweet for me."
"Great on rice!"
Lazy Slow Cooker Pierogi Casserole
This slow cooker casserole tastes just like the pierogi you know and love!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
This recipe for Lazy Slow Cooker Pierogi Casserole is one that is sure to stay a staple in your home for years. Not only are slow cooker casserole recipes like this completely delicious, they are also budget friendly and hassle-free.
This recipe is more authentic than some because it doesn't use pre-packaged pierogis. Instead you'll "build" your own casserole-style inside your slow cooker.
This recipe takes a little longer to prepare because it has separate elements to consider -- cooking the noodles, and boiling the potatoes for example -- but the end result is a creamy and comforting casserole that you'll be proud to serve and dying to eat.
Preparation Time30 min
Slow Cooker Time LOW2 hr
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 8 medium baking potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups mild or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 pound bacon
This pierogi casserole is both comforting and budget-friendly! For more ways to save money, check out our collection of 11 Best Slow Cooker Casserole Recipes
Cook noodles following package directions. Drain and rinse. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover with wax paper until ready to use.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place bacon on parchment or foil lined baking sheet and bake until cooked but still soft about 15-20 minutes. Drain on paper towels, let cool. Cut into small pieces.
Peel and cut potatoes, place in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil and cook until tender.
Slice onions and saute with 1 tablespoon of butter until slightly caramelized.
Drain potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
Mash potatoes with the butter, milk, salt and pepper until smooth. Mix in the cheddar cheese.
Grease a large crockpot.
Place three lasagna noodles onto bottom of crockpot. Spread 1 cup ricotta on top of noodles.
Spread 1/3 of the potato cheese mixture on top of the ricotta.
Place another 3 noodles on top and repeat layer.
Place the last 3 noodles on top, then potatoes, bacon, onions, no ricotta.
Cover crockpot with lid and cook on LOW for 2 hours.
Serve with sour cream.
Craving more recipes with potatoes? Check our collection of 17 Savory Slow Cooker Potato Recipes
Read NextAll Day Cheeseburger Casserole
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
catlady6866 288727 4
Feb 09, 2018
Sounds much easier than making my own Pierogi, so I'd like to try this recipe. My crock pot is one of those old round ones, so this wouldn't work in mine. How can I adopt this recipe in order to bake it in a conventional oven?
Feb 12, 2018
Hi catlady6866, I would try baking this casserole in a 350 degree F oven for about 15-20 minutes. I hope that helps! - Natalie, Editor of AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes
May 19, 2019
Try breaking the lasagna noodles into smaller pieces BEFORE cooking them. They will conform to your smaller crockpot. The top layer is covered by potato so no one will notice
Feb 01, 2018
This looks so delicious! Can't wait to try it.
Jan 18, 2018
Pierogi in a casserole? I can't wait to try this recipe. It looks so easy to make, too!
Jan 18, 2018
This casserole sounds amazing!! I love mashed potatoes so much. Plus, it has cheese, bacon, and pasta, too?! What more could you ask for!
Jan 26, 2017
Did someone say potato lasagna made in heaven...There's nothing bad about this yummy cheesy goodness! I've only had the pre-made frozen version of pierogis a few times and had no clue they were made with pasta. The combination of cheddar and potatoes go so nice together...do you know if this is the standard pierogi filling?
Nov 06, 2015
One word YUM! This was warm, comforting and tasty!
Nov 06, 2015
Such a comforting cold weather recipe! I'd probably use turkey kielbasa instead of bacon, and maybe even sneak in a few vegetables.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Asian Tacos With An Amazing Flavor
Asian Tacos are a delicious marriage of two of my family’s favorite cuisines – Mexican and Asian. They combine the delicious… Continue reading: "Asian Tacos With An Amazing Flavor"
- All Day Cheeseburger Casserole
- Slow Cooker Beef and Tater Tot Casserole
- 5 Ingredient Chicken and Noodles
- Cowboy Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Wild Rice Casserole
- All-Day Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
- Slow Cooker Bean and Cornbread Casserole
- Lazy Slow Cooker Pierogi Casserole
- Beef Chow Mein Casserole
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Slow Cooker Feta & Spinach Frittata
- Slow Cooker Chicken Shawarma
- Slow Cooker Beef Bulgogi
- Honey Bourbon Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Red Pepper Chicken
- Slow Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup (dairy Free Recipe!)
- Slow Cooker Green Chili Chicken Bake
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Butter Spoon Brownies
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook