Traditional Irish Guinness Beef Stew
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
"A traditional Irish pub recipe for Guinness Beef Stew. Full of hearty vegetables, beef, and served over mashed potatoes. This recipe uses a whole bottle or can of Guinness beer! It's a fun recipe for St. Patricks Day or to stay warm on a chilly night. This is a simple recipe that's easy to prep in a couple steps and let simmer all day. This recipe is popular for its taste - it's full of herbs, vegetable & Guinness flavors."
Preparation Time15 min
Cooking Time3 hr
Slow Cooker Time HIGH9 hr 20 min
Slow Cooker Time LOW3 hr
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast, cubed
- 1 small yellow onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 bottle Guinness Beer (or 1 can)
- 3 cups beef stock
- 4 large carrots, peeled & sliced
- 3 large stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the beef to the pan, one half at a time so as to not crowd the pan. Sear the beef until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef.
Add the onion to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour until the onions are coated and cook for 1 minute more.
Transfer everything in the skillet to your slow cooker. Gradually pour in the bottle of Guinness. Stir in the beef stock, carrots, celery, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme and beef.
Cook on low for 7 – 8 hours or high for 3 – 4 hours, until the celery and carrots are tender. Optionally: serve over mashed potatoes and garnish with parsley.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
Slow Cooker Homemade Beef Stew is a great recipe for the winter months when you just want to curl up near the fireplace and eat a… Continue reading: "Slow Cooker Homemade Beef Stewvideocam"
- Simple Southern Chicken Stew
- Slow Cooker Steak and Kidney Stew
- Ground Beef Hobo Stew
- Cowboy Steak and Bean Stew
- Loaded Bratwurst Stew
- Cabbage and Ground Beef Slow Cooker Stew
- Traditional Hungarian Goulash
- Vampire-Fighting Paleo Pork Stew
- Beef, Beer and Barley Stew Bread Bowls
- Slow Cooker German Goulash
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker Apple Cake
- Slow Cooker No Boil Mac And Cheese
- Country Style Pork Ribs And Sauerkraut
- Lazy Slow Cooker Acorn Squash
- Pumpkin Apple Cider Recipe
- Easy Potato Soup
- Lazy Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Bake
- Lazy Slow Cooker Hot Dog Pull Apart
- Lazy Slow Cooker Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook