- see all comments
"My husband loved it and said make it again. I didn't really like it because it was too sweet for me."
"Great on rice!"
"My reaction found I didn't like olives."
Betty's Slow-Cooker Pineapple Upside Down Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
This recipe for Betty's Slow-Cooker Pineapple Upside Down Cake is an easy pineapple upside down cake using cake mix. It's simple to make pineapple upside down cake in the slow cooker and still end up with the classic cake, we all know and love. This slow cooker pineapple upside down cake recipe includes traditional ingredients, such as brown sugar, butter, pineapple slices, and maraschino cherries. The addition of coconut flakes gives the cake an extra rich flavor and dense texture. Serve up this 1950s-style treat when you're feeling nostalgic, or offer it to guests at your next party or potluck. Loved ones will be impressed with your slow cooker baking skills!
*This recipe was adapted from Betty Crocker's Slow-Cooker Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
*Place a paper towel between the lid and slow cooker while cooking to avoid condensation from dripping into the slow cooker onto your cake.
Don't miss more slow cooker baking tips like this! Check out our guide, Tips on How to Bake in Your Slow Cooker.
Chilling Time15 min
Slow Cooker Time HIGH2 hr 30 min
Cooking Vessel Size6-quart slow cooker
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple slices in juice, drained; juice reserved
- 10 maraschino cherries without stems, drained
- 3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ yellow cake mix
- vegetable oil and eggs, as advised on cake mix box
Spray inside of 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray generously.
In a bowl, mix 1 cup brown sugar and melted 1/4 cup of butter; stir until combined.
Spread brown sugar and butter mixture evenly in the bottom of your slow cooker insert.
Place full pineapple slices across bed of brown sugar-butter mixture; cut pineapple slices to fit, as needed. Pineapple slices should be arranged in one layer.
Put a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring, and place additional cherries around slices, as desired.
Add water to set aside pineapple juice, totaling one cup of liquid.
Mix cake mix batter, as directed on the box, swapping pineapple juice for indicated water.
Add 3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes to batter and mix thoroughly.
Pour cake mix batter over pineapple, cherries, and brown sugar-butter mixture.
Set slow cooker to HIGH and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Uncover slow cooker carefully (to avoid condensation dripping on the cake). Turn off slow cooker. Remove ceramic base and set aside for cooling. Cool cake for 15 minutes.
Set down a heatproof serving plate over the ceramic base; turn over ceramic base with serving plate covering it.
Remove ceramic base. Serve and enjoy!
Read Next3 Ingredient Apple Spice Dump Cake
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Aug 01, 2017
I like the sound of this recipe. What intrigues me the most is that you added coconut to this recipe. I have never used coconut in any of my pineapple upside down cake recipes. I really want to see how the texture changes with that addition. Did you like it better with or without coconut?
Jan 26, 2017
I haven't tried making Pineapple Upside Down Cake since Home Economics class back in the day...What an epic fail that turned out to be. Never in all my days would it ever occur to me to make a cake in a crock pot. Times sure have changed...thanks to technology, I just may become a new dessert guru! lol
Dec 09, 2014
Amy, it says 50's style pineapple cake. Not a recipe from the 50's.
Sep 17, 2014
amyjchefmypts: It's a 1950s-style recipe. Pineapple upside down cakes were popular in the 1950s. Thanks! Editor, AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes
amyjchefmypts 3568 476
Jul 08, 2014
This is a good recipe, but how can it be from the '50's? Crock pots weren't around back then.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Sausage Steam Pot with Potatoes and Cabbage
This recipe for a Sausage Steam Pot with Potatoes and Cabbage is one of those recipes that remind us why cabbage is awesome! This… Continue reading: "Sausage Steam Pot with Potatoes and Cabbage"
- 3 Ingredient Apple Spice Dump Cake
- Chocolate Cappuccino Bread Pudding
- World's Best Banana Bread
- 16 Slow Cooker Cake Mix Recipes
- 3-Ingredient Cherry Dump Cake
- Peach and Berry Cake Mix Cobbler
- Thrifty Almond Streusel Cake
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding With Cooked Rice
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake
- Betty's Slow-Cooker Pineapple Upside Down Cake
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Slow Cooker Au Gratin Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Leg Of Lamb
- Cheesecake Factory Meatloaf Recipe
- Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Corn Soup
- Slow Cooker Guinness Irish Beef Stew
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake
- Slow Cooker London Broil
- Slow Cooker Sirloin Tip Roast
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook