Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- see all comments
"My husband loved it and said make it again. I didn't really like it because it was too sweet for me."
"Great on rice!"
"My reaction found I didn't like olives."
Slow Cooker Sizes Guide
Not sure what size slow cooker to use? Our handy chart will help!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
When shopping for a slow cooker, one of the most important decisions to make is what size slow cooker to get. You can find sizes from a 1-quart to an 8-quart, with many different sizes in between. In other words, there are a lot of choices to sort through.
However, there are two things to consider when choosing a slow cooker size:
- Number of people to feed
- Type of recipes you want to make
Slow Cooker Sizes
A 1-2 quart slow cooker works for single serving recipes and dip recipes, so it's a good choice for singles or couples who want to avoid leftovers.
A 4-quart slow cooker is a good choice for small families (especially couples with young children). This size works well for casseroles and desserts.
6-quart slow cookers are often seen as the standard size. They are good for many dishes including soups, stews, desserts, drinks, and casseroles.
8-quart slow cookers work are best for cooking large roasts, whole chickens, ham, and other large cuts of meats.
In the market for a new slow cooker? Learn what to look for in our complete guide: Slow Cooker Buying Guide & Must-Have Beginner Supplies
General Tips on Slow Cooker Sizes
- Check the capacity of your slow cooker - Not sure about the capacity of your slow cooker? You can measure it by filling it with water! Fill up your slow cooker one cup at a time and count along the way.
- 4 cups = 1 quart
- Slow cookers work best when they are 2/3 or 3/4 of the way full. Many recipes are written with this in mind. If the slow cooker is too empty, the recipe might cook faster which could mean food that’s dry or burnt. If it’s too full, you will probably need to add cook time.
- Cook a smaller portion in a large slow cooker by using a baking dish. If your slow cooker is too big for a particular recipe, the food can be placed in a smaller casserole pan and set inside the slow cooker, according to this article from The Huffington Post.
The hack of using a small pan inside the slow cooker also works for baking. Learn about this tip in our article: How to Bake in a Slow Cooker
Read NextHow to Test the Freshness of an Egg
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
Slow Cooker Beef and Tater Tot Casserole
Slow Cooker Beef and Tater Tot Casserole is one of those easy slow cooker casserole recipes that's perfect if your family enjoys… Continue reading: "Slow Cooker Beef and Tater Tot Casserole"
- Slow Cooker Sizes Guide
- How to Test the Freshness of an Egg
- How to Use Slow Cooker Liners
- How to Bake in a Slow Cooker
- Broth vs. Stock: What's the Difference?
- The Best Steak Marinade for Your Slow Cooker
- How to Cook a Turkey in Your Slow Cooker
- How To Make A Pumpkin Pie Spice Substitute
- How to Make Your Own Caramel Apple Bar
- 5 Beginner Slow Cooker Meals Anyone Can Make
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Slow Cooker Pizza
- Slow Cooker Au Gratin Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Leg Of Lamb
- Cheesecake Factory Meatloaf Recipe
- Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Corn Soup
- Slow Cooker Guinness Irish Beef Stew
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook