How to Test the Freshness of an Egg
Test egg freshness using a bowl of water and our handy chart!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
The last thing you would want to find out after cooking for hours in the kitchen is that the eggs you used in your meal are actually bad. Or, the opposite can be a problem too: you threw out eggs that were still good!
It is oftentimes hard to remember when exactly you purchased that carton of eggs in your refrigerator, so try performing this easy kitchen trick to test your eggs out before things go too far.
If you are wondering how to see if eggs are good, simply plop an egg into a cup of water, and leave it for a couple of minutes. After the time has elapsed, compare where your egg rests in the water with this handy egg freshness chart, and see if the egg should be tossed or not.
Note: If you're looking to clean out your refrigerator or pantry and need some tips on best by, sell by, and expiration dates, check out this guide.
Want to learn more cooking basics? Check out our handy conversion chart: The Measurement Conversion Chart You Need for Your Kitchen
How to Test Egg Freshness
Fill a glass or bowl with water.
Add the eggs you want to test. You can either check one at a time in a glass of water, or test several at once if you are using a bowl.
Eggs that are very fresh will lay on their sides, or horizontally.
Eggs that are not as fresh (but still safe to eat!) will stand up on one end, or vertically. These eggs should be eaten soon.
Any eggs that float, should be discarded. In other words, if the eggs are no longer touching the bottom of the glass or bowl, they are no longer safe to eat.
Why Does This Method Work?
Inside the large end of an egg, there is an air cell. Over time, the air cell gets larger as the egg ages, which is why older eggs float!
Eggshells are very porous – they have lots of small holes that allow air or liquid to pass through – and become even more porous over time. Air enters the egg through the shell, which increases the size of the air cell.
This is a reliable method to use because, while the "Best By" date is a helpful estimate, there are other factors can impact the actual freshness and shelf life of the eggs. The most common issue is improper refrigeration while the eggs are transferred from farm to store.
Slow Cooker Recipes with Eggs
Now that you've determined whether or not the eggs are safe to eat, it's time to cook with them!
Read NextHow Does a Slow Cooker Work?
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
Try a new spin on slow cooker meatballs with this slow cooker meatball recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan "Meatballs." Made with… Continue reading: "Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan "Meatballs""
- How Does a Slow Cooker Work?
- How to Bake in a Slow Cooker
- How to Test the Freshness of an Egg
- Tips for Converting Slow Cooker Recipes
- Is Slow Cooking Safe?
- How to Make Your Own Caramel Apple Bar
- Slow Cooker Sizes Guide
- Slow Cooker Tools And Safety Tips
- The Best Steak Marinade for Your Slow Cooker
- How to Use Slow Cooker Liners
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Easy Vegetarian Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Pinto Beans And Sausage
- Slow Cooker Gumbo
- Cabbage Hog Dog And Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chorizo Gumbo
- Slow Cooker Cinnamon Pecan Dump Cake
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken And Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Bacon Ranch Tater Tots
- Homemade Spices For Corned Beef And Cabbage
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook