How To Make A Pumpkin Pie Spice Substitute
Learn how to make your very own spice blend!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
If you've ever been in the midst of a fall baking marathon, you've probably run out of pumpkin pie spice at one point or another. It's a seasonal staple that we can't live without, so that's why we learned How To Make A Pumpkin Pie Spice Substitute.
To make your own pumpkin pie spice substitute, combine cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice. Homemade spices are often super easy to make -- it's just a matter of mixing different spices from your pantry together until you've concocted the perfect blend. How simple is that?
Pumpkin pie spice goes into most, if not all, of your favorite pumpkin recipes (and other recipes too), so it's a pretty important thing to have around the kitchen. Never run out of this easy-to-make spice again, no matter the time of year, with this substitute for pumpkin pie spice.
How To Make A Pumpkin Pie Spice Substitute
What You'll Need:
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
Is there pumpkin in pumpkin pie spice?
No! Pumpkin pie spice has no trace of pumpkin in it. If that seems weird to you, you're not the only one. This may be a no brainer to some of you, more experienced home cooks, but for others of us, we've lived our lives assuming otherwise. Silly us. Pumpkin pie spice is simply what gives all that familar, sweet and spicy flavor, that warms and comfort us deep down, to our favorite pumpkin pies, breads, cookies, cakes, lattes and other pumpkin-flavored treats.
Pros of Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- You control the proportions. Maybe you are a huge fan of cinnamon -- add a little more! Don't really like the licoricey flavor of cloves? Add less or leave it out all together. This is your kitchen, and your rules. Do what tastes best to you!
- Save money! Buying premixed pumpkin pie spice can get expensive. Sure, buying the individual spices will cost more at first, but it will save you money in the long run, especially if you use pumpkin pie spice often.
- Easily season savory dishes that teeter on the edge of being sweet, like roasted butternut squash soup or a sweet potato casserole. This particular blend of spices is great for drawing out the flavors of squash, sweet potatoes, and more. Plus, you have the option of seasoning your food with the individual spices you bought to make the spice blend.
Recipes with Pumpkin Pie Spice
For fall slow cooker recipes you are sure to enjoy, check out our collection of 12 Savory Sweet Potato Slow Cooker Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
"Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches are the ultimate sandwich made with your favorite beer with thick slices that are super tender with… Continue reading: "Ultimate Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches"
- How to Bake in a Slow Cooker
- Slow Cooker Sizes Guide
- How to Test the Freshness of an Egg
- The Best Steak Marinade for Your Slow Cooker
- The Measurement Conversion Chart You Need for Your Kitchen
- Tips for Converting Slow Cooker Recipes
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- How to Use Slow Cooker Liners
- How to Make Your Own Caramel Apple Bar
- Are Slow Cookers Safe? + 5 Safety Tips
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Slow Cooker Chicken And Gravy
- Cheesy Chicken And Rice
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Slow Cooker Red Wine Hot Chocolate
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole With Bacon
- Ultimate Holiday Ham
- Brown Sugar Kiwi & Pineapple Ham
- Slow Cooker Chili
- Slow Cooker Bread Pudding
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook