Herby Barley Couscous with Chipotle Halloumi and Grilled Apricots
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
"This herby barley couscous with chipotle halloumi and grilled apricots it’s just a dream dish, it’s an absolute beauty and the exact type of food that I would eat again and again. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, any day, any season. Peaches and apricots are one of my top favourite fruits to throw on a grill as an addition in almost any savoury salad. I do like strawberries, mango or pineapple too. Herby barley couscous with chipotle halloumi and grilled apricots is one of those favorite couscous salad recipes. Airy, tasty, light and so perfect as leftovers or work lunch box the next day. Healthy and super easy to make!"
Notes* as herbs here in this recipe I have used dill, parsley and mint but you may use any ones you like. Thyme goes super well here with apricots too.
* I have replaced a few times the halloumi cheese with lamb chops or pork medallions, it’s divine.
* yet again addition that’s perfect for sharing, for parties, it always looks vibrant and super impressive.
* A drizzle of a good quality balsamic vinegar into which you can add some fresh herbs will go well here too, well at least that’s what I like since I am a balsamic vinegar addict. Enjoy!
Preparation Time20 min
Cooking Time10 min
- 220 g halloumi cheese sliced
- 210 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 190 g barley couscous
- 180 g tenderstem broccoli
- 6 apricots halved and grilled
- 5 leaves fresh mint bruised and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1 small bunch mixed fresh herbs*
- 60 g pecan nuts toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 handful pomegranate seeds
Put the dry couscous into a slightly larger bowl and pour over the boiling stock. Cover with a plate or clingfilm and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
Slice and brush the halloumi cheese with a coat of chipotle paste and set aside for a few minutes.
While the couscous it’s getting infused, and the halloumi a little confused
, grill the apricots and the broccoli on a griddle pan for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side then remove and put on a plate aside.
Grill the halloumi cheese too for 2 minutes on each side and set aside once finished.
Toast the pecan nuts in a pan for literally 2 min tossing almost constantly and make sure you’re not abandoning that pan till you take them off that pan. Warning
They burn fast! After toasting, take them out from that pan and place them on a chopping board ready for a rough chopping once they are cool enough to handle which should be 1 min or so.
In a jar, place all dressing ingredients and give those a good old shake. Shake it, shake it, and shake a little bit more until you think enough is enough.
Get the couscous fluffed up with a fork, season and add half of the dressing, the washed and finely chopped herbs including the mint leaving a pinch of two aside for sprinkling at the end, add the chopped nuts and most of the pomegranate seeds. Give it all a nice mix.
Serve the barley couscous mixture onto the serving plates and top with the grilled apricots, halloumi and the broccoli.
Drizzle the remaining dressing sprinkle some more pomegranate seeds and few more chopped herbs and serve.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
Slow Cooker Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread is sure to become your new favorite recipe for breakfast. This simple monkey bread recipe is so… Continue reading: "Slow Cooker Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread"
All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes Free eCookbook
17 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole
Simply the Best Slow Cooker Meatloaf Recipe
No-Fuss Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
Tangy Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Savory Slow Cooker Meatloaf
Sausage Steam Pot with Potatoes and Cabbage
Easy Slow Cooker Vegetable Lo Mein Noodles
Best Ever Beer Marinated Bratwurst Recipe
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- Slow Cooker Pork Ragu & Fettuccine
- Rachael Ray 11" Covered Stir Fry Pan
- Pulled Chicken
- Fissler Souspreme Multi Pot Cooker
- Fiesta Hostess Serving Bowl
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco Soup
- Pressure Cooker Nettle and Black Eyed Beans Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook