How to Cook a Turkey in Your Slow Cooker
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Slow cooker Thanksgiving recipes are perfect to have in your back pocket on that busy Thursday in November. Many people utilize their slow cooker to make a side dish for their Thanksgiving or Christmas table, but imagine how much more oven space you would have for side dishes if you follow our guide for How to Cook a Turkey in Your Slow Cooker! Cooking an easy Thanksgiving turkey in the slow cooker allows you to focus on preparing various side dishes and, more importantly, it allows you to participate in family fun and festivities. Leave all the work to your slow cooker so that you can spend your Thanksgiving or Christmas relaxing.
Learning how to cook a turkey in your slow cooker is crucial to your enjoyment of the holidays, but it also might just be an improvement on your standard roasted turkey. Cooking a turkey in a slow cooker will allow you to consistently turn out an extremely moist and flavorful turkey. You also won't need to worry as much about burning your turkey or having it cook unevenly.
If you are unsure of how to cook a turkey in your slow cooker, simply follow the tips below to revolutionize your Thanksgiving Day or Christmas routine.
Tips on How to Cook a Turkey in Your Slow Cooker
- Before placing your turkey in the slow cooker, rinse it well with cold water and then pat it dry.
- Season the turkey the same way you normally would. Rubbing the turkey with poultry seasoning or dry onion soup mix will give the bird great flavor. You can also add aromatics such as chopped root vegetables, cranberry sauce, or orange juice for even more taste.
- Do not be tempted to lift the lid of the slow cooker once the turkey begins to cook. Every time you peek, you will lower the temperature inside the slow cooker and prolong the cooking process.
- Remember the drippings! Even in a slow cooker turkey will yield juices and drippings. After you remove the turkey from the slow cooker, make a flavorful homemade gravy from what is left in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Make sure that your turkey fits snugly in your slow cooker, but do not overfill it. If your turkey is too large for the slow cooker, there is a greater risk that the turkey will cook unevenly.
- Begin by cooking the turkey on high for one to two hours so that it reaches the proper internal temperature. The turkey can then finish on the low setting for seven to eight hours so that it remains moist and juicy.
Slow Cooker Turkey Recipes
- Slow Cooker Perfect Turkey Breast
- Tender Turkey Breast for Slow Cooker
- Two Ingredient Turkey Breast
- Cran-Orange Turkey Breast (pictured above)
- Easy Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- All Day Herbed Turkey Breast
- Saucy Turkey Thighs
- Turkey Thighs Pot Roast (pictured directly above)
Read NextHow Does a Slow Cooker Work?
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
Try a new spin on slow cooker meatballs with this slow cooker meatball recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan "Meatballs." Made with… Continue reading: "Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan "Meatballs""
- How Does a Slow Cooker Work?
- How to Bake in a Slow Cooker
- How to Test the Freshness of an Egg
- Tips for Converting Slow Cooker Recipes
- Is Slow Cooking Safe?
- How to Make Your Own Caramel Apple Bar
- Slow Cooker Sizes Guide
- Slow Cooker Tools And Safety Tips
- The Best Steak Marinade for Your Slow Cooker
- How to Use Slow Cooker Liners
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Easy Vegetarian Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Pinto Beans And Sausage
- Slow Cooker Gumbo
- Cabbage Hog Dog And Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chorizo Gumbo
- Slow Cooker Cinnamon Pecan Dump Cake
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken And Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Bacon Ranch Tater Tots
- Homemade Spices For Corned Beef And Cabbage
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook