How to Bake in a Slow Cooker
These 9 tips for slow cooker baking will help you make cakes, yeast breads, and more!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Did you know you could make delicious baked goods in your slow cooker? You can prepare easy cake recipes in your slow cooker, quick bread recipes, and even yeast breads by following a few simple tricks and tips. This guide for How to Bake in a Slow Cooker will help demystify slow cooker baking and allow you to harness the full functionality of your slow cooker.
Baking in your slow cooker allows you to make great use out of an everyday appliance. It is also convenient because you can make baked goods in the summer without turning on the oven and heating up the house. It's also perfect for maximizing oven space and efficiency on busy baking days.
Follow our tips on slow cooker baking below and then try out some new recipes!
1. To bake in a slow cooker, you can either:
- Pour the batter directly in the slow cooker.
- Set a baking pan inside the slow cooker.
But if you do not have this accessory, you can use a cooking vessel that fits inside your slow cooker! Some ideas include:
- Loaf pan
- Small springform pan
- Mason jars
See how to use a baking pan inside your slow cooker with the video below for Rise and Shine Slow Cooker Coffee Cake.
You can even make muffins in your slow cooker by placing paper liners inside silicone cupcake holders.
Try it out with this recipe for Slow Cooker Dreamy Hazelnut Cupcakes
2. Only fill your baking pan halfway.
Just like in a normal oven, your baked goods will rise a significant amount.
3. If you’re setting a pan inside the slow cooker, set a baking rack in the bottom of the slow cooker.
This allows the heat of the slow cooker to surround the food as it bakes. If you don’t have a rack that will fit, try elevating the baking pan with crumpled up balls of aluminum foil.
4. Remember to grease your slow cooker or baking pan before pouring in the batter.
5. Try using parchment paper to prevent sticking.
6. Trap the condensation that develops under the lid with a layer of paper towels.
This prevents baked goods from getting soggy on top.
You can do this by placing layers of paper towels directly over your baking vessel, or by lining the lid of the slow cooker with paper towels or a dish cloth.
You can also slightly prop the slow cooker's lid with a spoon to allow steam to escape.
7. Only lift the lid near the end of the baking time.
Peeking too often will significantly lower the slow cooker's temperature. You also run the risk of condensation dripping on the bake good.
8. Use the high setting when baking in your slow cooker.
Also be sure to preheat the slow cooker (without the insert), just like you would a normal oven.
9. Use pot holders when removing the baked goods from the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Cakes & Dessert Breads
For even more easy slow cooker desserts that are made in the slow cooker, download a copy of our free eCookbook, 16 To-Die-For Slow Cooker Cake Mix Recipes
Slow Cooker Yeast Bread and Rolls
Even if you're not planning to bake bread in your slow cooker, you can use it to speed up the rising time. Learn how to do it here: Raising Bread in Your Slow Cooker
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Recipe of the Day
Chicken chili recipes are great alternatives when you're just not feeling like ground beef. This Slow Cooker Chicken Chili with Ancho… Continue reading: "Slow Cooker Chicken Chili with Ancho Pepper"
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
How to Make Your Own Caramel Apple Bar
Are Slow Cookers Safe? + 5 Safety Tips
How to Test the Freshness of an Egg
The 4 Best Foods To Cook In Your Slow Cooker
Tips for Converting Slow Cooker Recipes
5 Slow Cooker Tips for Beginners
How to Make a Whole Chicken in the Slow Cooker
The Paleo Diet: What You Need To Know
30+ Uncommon Uses for Your Slow Cooker
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- All Seasons Orzo, Halloumi and Olive Salad
- Waffle, Quail Eggs, Bacon and Maple Syrup Lush Breakfast
- Healthier Flapjacks with Honey and Dry Pomegranate Seeds
- Brown and Green Lentils with Portobello Mushrooms, Wasabi Rocket and Watercress Hearty Salad
- Sweet and Salty Homemade Coconut Popcorn
- Spelt Flour and Pecan Nuts Delights
- Superb Salmon, Pesto and Asparagus Bake
- Almond Flour Cake with Apricots, Coconut and Mint
- BBQ Pulled Pork
- Kai Wasabi Bread Knife
- 17 Easy Recipes for a Slow Cooker
- 17 Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe Classics
- 18 of Our Best Slow Cooker Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- All-Star Slow Cooker Recipes: 9 Of Our Best Slow Cooker Main Dishes
- Cooking on a Budget: 12 Slow Cooker Budget Dinner Recipes
- Food For Easter: 17 Easter Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- Great Ground Beef Recipes: 13 Slow Cooker Ground Beef Recipes
- Mother's Day Ultimate Breakfast: 12 Mother's Day Recipes for Breakfast
- Show-Stealing Side Dishes: 20 of the Best Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken: 16 of Our Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes eCookbook